The European Cup kicks off this weekend in the Basque Country of Spain, in Bilbao, before heading off to 4 more unique locations across Europe before crowning European Cup Champions and European Titles.
SUWS: European Cup Kicks Off in Spain
The first stop of the 2014 European Cup presented by Starboard kicks off this weekend in the beautiful Basque Country of Spain. Many of the world’s best athletes will descend upon the dramatic city of Bilbao to do battle at the Bilbao World SUP Challenge for coveted points toward the European Cup title.
The Bilbao World SUP Challenge will offer a variety of activities for pro paddlers, amateurs and spectators, including the typical Standup World Series sprint and long distance races, as well as the following events:
• Waterdog: Dogs will invade the estuary accompanying their owners on SUPs
• Green Graffiti: Clean the scum! Graffiti will be painted on the wall of the estuary
• DJ and live music to liven up the Uribitarte dock. Saturday will offer live bands: The Fake Band and The Great Barrier
• Fun SUP Race: A mini SUP race focused on fun rather than competition
• Recycling Workshops: Learn how to give new life to discarded materials. Repurpose ship sails in an original and creative way to create costumes, key chains, bags etc.
• Drawing and coloring activities for children
• Interactive games encouraging clean energy
After the Bilbao World SUP Challenge wraps up, the European Cup will then head to Oléron Island, France from June 13 – 15, followed by Sieravuori, Finland from July 3 – 5, then on to Fehmarn, Germany from July 18 – 20, with the final stop in Rome, Italy from July 25 – 27.
This unique series of events will provide an overall European Cup Title for both men and women, derived from the athletes’ best three results out of five, but also a European Championship Title for the leading Europeans.