1) I'm not sure what to make of Game 1. Why? Because I thought it was kind of what we should have expected. The Kings are a bigger, heavier team who beat the crap out of you and give up chances. The Rangers are a faster team that won't be intimidated and have the better goaltender. The Kings and Jonathan Quick are the best team and the best goalie the Rangers have faced in these playoffs. The Rangers and Henrik Lundqvist are the best defensive team and by far -- FAR -- the best goalie the Kings have faced.
2) And so, it was a 2-2 game, no matter how it looked at times getting there, until OT, when a bad hop, a flat tire, a bad pass, and too many Rangers flying the zone gave the Kings Game 1. Despite the Kings' controlling the second half of the game, or more, and dominating the third, the Rangers had chances to win it late in the third, and it could have gone either way.
3) A veteran hockey guy whom I like very much and respect even more asked me after the game, "so do you think it's over? Was that the Rangers' shot?" And I just chuckled because we have seen in virtually every series but Montreal-Tampa this springtime how the next game just changes the complexion of the series. Rangers win Game 2, everybody's back on board. Rangers lose Game 2, everybody's bailing ... until they win Game 3. That's how it goes. One game isn't determining anything, unless it's an elimination game and the team leading the series wins that game. I don't see LA winning this thing in four or five. I just don't.
4) But I've been wrong once before.
5) King vs. Kings. During the third period came the tweet of the night by my buddy, Dave Lozo: "Henrik Lundqvist made more saves in the third period than Corey Crawford made in seven games of the West Final." The Kings were skating downhill from late in the first period on, and Lundqvist was sensational, not just with his saves, but also with a couple of fab poke checks, and with the way he directed angle shots into the corners and out of trouble. People talk about him stealing games. He almost stole this one.