Chicama, located in Puerto Malabrigo in the central coast of Peru, is known to be the longest surfeable wave on Earth. This surfing jewel offers a 2.2 k.m. ride with nice barrels and long walls for high-performance maneuvers. A ride so long that you can surf a single wave for over 2:30 minutes.
Chicama is an ideal place to break world records and for pro surfers around the globe. Pro surfer Jarrad Howse calls it an “insane wave” and peruvian surfer Cristobal de Col pulled 34 maneuvers in one single wave at the Red Bull Chicama challenge.
The wave divides in Seven Sections, named: El Cape, El Point, Las dos Tetas, El Hotel, El Hombre, El Malecón.
- El Cape: This is where the wave starts. Usually breaks good during summer, between December and March, when North SWELLS hit the area constantly. There is always something to surf in this section.
- El Point: This is where the long 2.2 Km ride starts. It breaks in front of a rock formation, but on a sandy bottom. Easy take off and with low tide it delivers nice perfect barrels. A good speed section.
- Las Dos Tetas: This is the second section where all turns really long. The wall extends for over 10 to 15 feet while you are pulling turns. You might think it will close out, but then it always opens.
- El Hotel: Located in front of the Chicama Boutique Hotel & Spa, it is the fastest section. You must use all your strength to speed up. Most people just go fast without pulling any turn.
- El Hombre: If you reach this section your legs should be destroyed by now, but use your energy reserve as this section provides the best barrels (Especially during big SSW SWELLS).
- El Malecón: At this point you will have been in the same wave for over 2:30 minutes, for sure the longest wave you have ever ridden. This section also provides nice barrels and long walls for high-performance maneuvers. You should end just before the Pier, or you will not be able to tell your friends about this wave.
From January to February: best conditions with WNW SWELLS. During this time of the Year the Cape is the section you´ll mainly be surfing. Though some sporadic perfect SW SWELL can hit the area.
From March until November: This is the time of the year you should look for as at least two swells hit Chicama Every week, though March and October provide the best and cleanest conditions. Huge SW and SSW swells hit the area and provide lifetime experiences for surfers around the globe.
Best Conditions to Surf Chicama:
Every SWELL with the following conditions:
- SW 210° + / 4ft + / 14 SEC+
- SSW 197° + / 8ft + / 14 SEC+
- WNW 300°+ / 2ft + / 15 SEC+
Also, Check out our.......